- 4 medium pomfret
- 2 tsp coconut toddy vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsps ginger paste
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 6 pieces kodumpuli(soaked in ½ cup water)
- 2 cups coconut,scraped
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 - 12 curry leaves
- 4 green chillies(slit)
- 1 medium onion ,chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- Cut each fish into three equal pieces and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Marinate in vinegar with little salt. Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon in a fry pan and pound to a fine powder.
- Soak the kodumpuli in half a cup of water.
- Grind coconut with one cup of warm water, extract thick milk and repeat this process again to get a second extract.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Once the mustards seeds splutter add onions and fry till golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté. Add turmeric powder, pounded masala and salt.
- Add the soaked kodumpuli and second extract of coconut milk. Simmer for five minutes.
- Add fish.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and cook till the fish is done.
- Remove from heat and add the first extract of coconut milk and bring back to simmer but do not boil.
- Adjust the seasoning. Carefully remove the fish pieces and cook the curry little more to get the right consistency.
- Pour the hot curry over the fish and serve hot.