Cuisine: North Indian
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- saffron a generous pinch
- 5 tbsps ghee
- 20 cashewnuts
- 2 tbsps raisins (kishmish)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsps grated mawa/khoya
- ½ tbsp rose water
- ¼ cup milk
- Soak rice in four cups of water for one hour. Drain.
- Heat two and a half cups of water in a deep pan. Add saffron and bring it to a boil. Add rice and let it come to a boil again. Reduce heat and let the rice cook till it is three fourths done. Divide it into three portions.
- Heat two tbsps ghee in a pan and sauté cashewnuts and raisins till golden. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Take a glass bowl. Spread a portion of rice. Sprinkle one-third of the sugar, one tbsp ghee, one-third the grated mawa, one-third the fried nuts and a few drops of rose water. Repeat the layers twice.
- Mix a few drops of rose water in one-fourth cup of milk and sprinkle on the top. Cover the bowl with double layers of aluminium foil.
- Place the bowl in the preheated oven and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it stand for some time before removing the foil and serving.